Wednesday, October 19, 2011

blog 10

  In the article "Imitation of Film: Here's Smoking at you, kid by Nicholas Balakar. Talks about children from the ages of 10 to 14 are much more likely to take up smoking if they have seen actors smoke in the movies, and he also states from a research he read that thirty eight percent of children who start smoking do so in imitation of movies they have seen. He interviewed Dr. James D. Sergent, the lead author on the study and a professor of pediatrics at Dartmouth Medical School. And he states that his studies show that kids begin to view R-rated movies at about fourth or fifth grade and R-rated movies contain twice as much smoking so children who had the greatest exposure to smoking in movies were more than two and half times as likely to start smoking as those who had the lowest exposure. I agree and disagree with Dr. James statement.

           The reason one side of me agrees with Dr. James is that I was once young and from personal experience, I know how influential movies can be for children. For example when i was young I went through different phases when it comes to movies or T.V shows, I remember when I was young I use to watch "Power Rangers" and I would always imitate the Green ranger which was my favorite ranger. I never use to like the color green but after i got hooked to the show green was my favorite color. 

        Another example into why I can agree with Dr. James is that as I got older but still young. I was very into martial arts movies because of actors like Bruce Lee, Jean Claude Van Damme to Steven Seagal. Watching their movies inspired me to join a martial art school for years, and these are two examples of things that have influenced me in movies.

      Although I do agree with Dr. James but it is only to a certain extent. Because even though I did get influence by movies my mom did approved of my decision making when I was young. I am pretty sure my mom would not approve of me smoking or anything that can bring me harm especially if I am young.

     Dr. James makes a good point but in the end it is up to the parent or the legal guardian to monitor what their children are doing.







4 comments:

  1. I think Your thesis was very clear and straight forward. However, I felt your summary was hard to understand, mainly because of the sentence structure. Like how you started with the word “And” but could have just stated the Dr. james.
    Your evidence was solid but general, as for example when you talk about Bruce Lee Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal, I would have love to hear more about them, and your martial arts history.
    Lastly, I would like you to know that the whole was easy to read. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK! Move now beyond simple "agreement" to a real thesis statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your claim/thesis are very clear, but you should write it in your own words. Although you must choose one choice agree or disagree, also you don't show any disagreement with Dr James.
    Furthermore your evidence are really interesting you should write more. it's a nice but you should prepared your ideas about if you are agree or disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A student from Doctor x class.looking at your claim,reason and evidence.
    To be honest your claim is perfect. You make it very simple to agree with the author that imitation is the greatest influence of childeren into smoking habit.
    In your reason, i didn't see any specific only evidence that goes with very good personal experience which are very nice. Concerning the reason i may suggest you look why they smoke and the effect in their life and society as well.
    The evidence are very clear. It is superb.

    ReplyDelete